Skip to main content

Writing about writing, and writing well

The flow of writing does not come easy. In the last few weeks, I have picked up certain writing tips from here and there, and they seem to make sense to my own writing practices and personality. The very first one is no great tip, rather it's an observation which a journalist who also does freelance writing made.

Writers have to love reading too. And they have to have real love for reading -- the kind that inspires and forces them to empty their eon thoughts on paper or electronic orbits. That makes sense to me. Only when we read different authors, critique their writing styles and imagine how we would have dealt with similar (or different) plot lines, do we feel the urge to write surge within. We gather language, vocabulary, usage, phrases, expressions, descriptions and scenery. When this happens, writing shall come easy to me.

By reading, I would take it to mean all kinds of reading. Right from reading the newspaper to articles on the internet, other blogs to your more serious reading such as literature, history, mythology and the whole bouquet of knowledge and wisdom transferred to us through the various media. Perhaps some of us hardly open a paperback or hardbound anymore. We have it all in the ether all around us, waiting for us to but touch, tap or flick it on. But still, reading it is. It could be like the poem My Generation, written by a fourteen year old that went viral through Twitter a few days ago. It could be an epic like the Mahabharata in another language. But if it makes me think, it inspires me to attempt writing at least a line, or adding color to an idea or aspiration, it is my meat!

A natural appendage to having a reading fixation is the happenstance of keeping oneself well-informed. I don't restrict my knowledge to news or gossip here. It could be events, personalities or ideas. But being in the know is a useful habit to keep up. It can lead to many more wonderful things. It can inspire or depress, or scare or confine. But it will seldom leave you unmoved. So if you are an insensitive brute, still read. And if you are a sensitive, sincere contributor, read even more, for through you, great things might come to pass. You can be the lens through which brilliant visages find reflection.

Writing is hard work. It needs industry, planning and perseverance. On this context, some say it is not possible to push oneself to write. Up and coming writer Amish Tripathy of the the Shiva trilogy said he never set himself targets to finish a certain number of words or chapters. But he did mention that he finds the forenoon the best time for his writing. This discovery is worth making, as it will give a writer a schedule and a possibility of being productive with something that is as fixated on inspiration and creativity as writing.

Amish also mentioned in his newspaper interview that he answers letters, media persons and connects with family. Maintaining these relationships evidently helps him write better when he does sit down to write.

This piece is nowhere near done, and I doubt if it ever will be. I will keep adding pieces to this as and when I have some new insight into writing, or if I come across something interesting said by someone that's worth recording. As my Psychology professor at business school remarked once, "theories do not come out of thin air", so I with some pretense or inspiration, will find something or other to keep my writing going, and that's how, I hope, this post will keep lengthening too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A fleeting What Ho!

So many days since I’ve made an appearance at Scribbly Scraggly. I’ve found a human hand that holds on to mine, in the meanwhile, and have seen some more of the mundane, some more of the extreme, and some more of the wonderful. No details will suffice. It has been a good journey, with much to learn, much to laugh and smile at, much to clutch at in disbelief, much to repine, brood and snivel over. In short, life has not changed much, but a pang has been fulfilled, new ones supplanted for some old, and new abilities and inadequacies uncovered. Debt of thanks to the Almighty is pending as usual, for it has been a worthwhile journey, and None but the Almighty could have conjured it up for a girl, a woman, a stray of fortune, a queen of gumption
So much has happened since my first post on this site. That was way back in 2008, when typing was a fantasy – I was proud of my ability to type fast enough, but I could still hold a pen, back then. It is amazing how a lot of us have changed. I, for one, cannot write faster than I type now. In fact, I hardly use my dexterity of the opposable thumb, except for hitting the spacebar. And while my handwriting has never been something to be proud of, it offends me that writing, as we still call it, holds less charm in the pencil or ink form as opposed to the ‘QWERTY’ form. It almost goes without saying. My job consists of the so-called ‘writing’ but only in the typed form, where my speed sometimes makes me think of the pitter patter of rain. I wish that were real! There, I tried to italicize a word and it doesn’t look very different from the rest of the script. And incidentally, those of you who’re wondering why I chose this font, just look at the beauty of the deliciously looped letter...

The war on the writing front

As a writing and reading addict, I subscribe to the newsfeed of several news websites, and enjoy being fed trivia, facts, conjecture and opinions from around the world. While all these sites win over the other in being awkward at some point or other with regard to language quality, presentation and sensitivity, they are indisputably neck to neck in vying with each other on who gets the headline in first. To make such a comment, one hardly need follow the newsfeed for a week or two. The stories reported are the same, the content presented is hardly variant, but the spot is open for the news channel which brings in the story first, and it is pretty much anybody's game right up to the point the browser refreshes itself and brings in a whole new bunch of posts. As a result, browsers are on the tick-tock more than ever before, and the parade is sometimes so much livelier than the noteworthy NYSE trading ticker tape. Hey, this keeps the others on the toes, and I am sure it contribu...