Skip to main content

Off in a trice!

Alas I’ve reached this point of publishing a post full of advice. Having been at the receiving of advice galore, well-meant and other kinds as well, I kind of vowed to myself never to be a bore. I have in times present and past, been the receiver of confidences, and still consider myself a good friend. I offer advice when solicited, particularly if I feel I have some authority on the subject, or some experience in the said domain of affliction.
Having become a mommy, as in the case of many other Indian women, I feel that I have transcended a great, life-altering experience. Advice and life-plans have been flung at me, regardless of my disinterest and discomfiture. I didn’t love every moment of my being a mommy. I’ve had plunging lows, and I cannot say I am above them, by any means. Then, wonder of wonders, wherefrom have I started to spout advice?

I tell my just-married friends not to have kids too soon. There is bitterness in that. And then I tell them what they are going to do when they do have kids. What to do and what not to. God, it was a short walk from hating unsolicited advice to giving it myself!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A fleeting What Ho!

So many days since I’ve made an appearance at Scribbly Scraggly. I’ve found a human hand that holds on to mine, in the meanwhile, and have seen some more of the mundane, some more of the extreme, and some more of the wonderful. No details will suffice. It has been a good journey, with much to learn, much to laugh and smile at, much to clutch at in disbelief, much to repine, brood and snivel over. In short, life has not changed much, but a pang has been fulfilled, new ones supplanted for some old, and new abilities and inadequacies uncovered. Debt of thanks to the Almighty is pending as usual, for it has been a worthwhile journey, and None but the Almighty could have conjured it up for a girl, a woman, a stray of fortune, a queen of gumption
So much has happened since my first post on this site. That was way back in 2008, when typing was a fantasy – I was proud of my ability to type fast enough, but I could still hold a pen, back then. It is amazing how a lot of us have changed. I, for one, cannot write faster than I type now. In fact, I hardly use my dexterity of the opposable thumb, except for hitting the spacebar. And while my handwriting has never been something to be proud of, it offends me that writing, as we still call it, holds less charm in the pencil or ink form as opposed to the ‘QWERTY’ form. It almost goes without saying. My job consists of the so-called ‘writing’ but only in the typed form, where my speed sometimes makes me think of the pitter patter of rain. I wish that were real! There, I tried to italicize a word and it doesn’t look very different from the rest of the script. And incidentally, those of you who’re wondering why I chose this font, just look at the beauty of the deliciously looped letter...

The war on the writing front

As a writing and reading addict, I subscribe to the newsfeed of several news websites, and enjoy being fed trivia, facts, conjecture and opinions from around the world. While all these sites win over the other in being awkward at some point or other with regard to language quality, presentation and sensitivity, they are indisputably neck to neck in vying with each other on who gets the headline in first. To make such a comment, one hardly need follow the newsfeed for a week or two. The stories reported are the same, the content presented is hardly variant, but the spot is open for the news channel which brings in the story first, and it is pretty much anybody's game right up to the point the browser refreshes itself and brings in a whole new bunch of posts. As a result, browsers are on the tick-tock more than ever before, and the parade is sometimes so much livelier than the noteworthy NYSE trading ticker tape. Hey, this keeps the others on the toes, and I am sure it contribu...