Skip to main content

Spillover – no charm, no rhyme. Taking inspiration is a neat crime

It all began with a modern-enough offering – the bulk-sms package on my cell-phone which ends soon, on Saturday. I didn’t want to leave close to a hundred sms-es unused. So I sent a characteristic ‘Hi’ to four friends, all of who have been in my life for longer than eight years. And for the record, I am 26-and-close-to-another-month old myself.

Two responded instantly. They were two highly normal people, boys and gentlemen in the simplest sense. They were nice and then bade me goodnight; inspite of my acting rather whimsically with them after 11 PM. These are guys I can count on, for reasonable to not-so-reasonable things. A girlfriend responded too after a while. These are people who remind me of parts of myself.

While all this was happening, I was rummaging my phonebook for more victims. Obviously my sms package does not cover international sms, so I had to leave my best friend be. The one guy who responded not at all, well, not much lost.

What came home to me was how few people I had the liberty to browbeat at that hour. Of course there was a time when I had a dozen people at my finger-tips. I do not mind not being so much in the loop now. But it’s these other people – these people who only smile at me when I act sane (read ‘who are interested only in my best behaviour’) that abound in my list of regular contacts.

No regrets. I’ve obviously played my cards that way. And I love all these people who’re in my life. I am not the one to come up with freakish scenarios where I’d have to call someone at 4 AM and start blubbing about how few would care to blink the sleep out of their eyes. Hell, I am happy I have friends who sleep at a reasonable hour and who have got their own lives to lead. That gives me my space.

And those who don’t sleep at these so-called polite hours, woohoo! There are some who say I’ve aged before my time. Others suggest that I’ve bound myself too securely to apron-strings. I’m sure it’s a bit of both. I would love to let go and have a dash at the psychedelic. I probably will, too. Not just now.

I swear. I labour unholy thoughts. I shoot my mouth off, curse, trample and burst into stormy emotions. I worry over teeniest bits of stupidity, forget horrendously grave mistakes. I am that, this with some more to come. Ridiculous. That sounds like I am talking myself downhill at a beauty pageant.

That’s fine. I veer from one towering high to an abysmal low. It often happens on Monday nights, when the freedom of the weekend past and the delights of the workday experienced are too closely juxtaposed. Monday does put me off – not in the way one would expect, but in the way it brings back order to my time. I am no free spirit. I tether myself to details as if for dear life.

I pray, summon and form immediate opinions. I am lost when my computer is off and my phone is not ringing and nothing on TV is interesting. Oh for cryin’ out loud. Yes, I am crying out, for anything – from the waft of breeze to calm me to the silliest task to occupy me – if it promises me respite from the avalanche of thought.

I do stuff that I like almost everyday. Have a few TV shows I enjoy, job that I heart and nice (though not enough) books around me. I don’t exercise enough, and it is beginning to show. I am in the throes of delight reasonably often. Negativity visits too, earning many frequent flyer miles.

Mutually exclusive experiences are rife. Can’t contemplate a smile or a laugh one moment, then can’t stop grinning. Cannot resist oneiric charms, like a tumbleweed blown in the wind. [Yep, patent ratified] And then get stoic enough to provoke a block of stone.

Man, ain’t it a collusion of emotions. Logic does breeze in, and out. Emotions endure. So help me God.

In Brush Script MT at 12 28 AM, 1st November, 2011.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

buying something - a perspective from an NRI's marketer

Indians are lovers of beauty and utility. To them, a high-involvement purchase decision is not only one that uses logic but channels emotion as well. A good purchase is one that continues to give joy while delivering functionality for the consideration put in. Conditioning of several generations, mainly governed by household economy, has been drilled into the Indian consumer. To claim a share of the taxpayer’s wallet, the value provided by a product is paramount. Indians famously seek to ‘repair and reuse’ as opposed to ‘use and throw’. The Indian diaspora largely remains true to this idea while mulling over a purchase. They seek to gain lasting value. The fillip of value lies in an item reminiscent of the motherland – one that smacks of the flavours, tastes, and the colourful heritage that India signifies. Uniquely Indian items – and they are many – have historical, religious, or nostalgic significance for non-resident Indians. Linking a product’s features and benefits to

Sales people get annoying as does sales talk - here's how to steer clear of verbal pitfalls

My scenario: Seller: software maker (on-rolls sales agent making the pitch) Buyer: a digital marketing company looking to buy software to collect feedback from its employees on HR policy, workplace conditions, etc. Annoying things a salesperson says When needs match with offerings, sales happen with vim and vigor. An astute salesperson analyses prospects well before making them an offer. He/she thinks of the needs of the customer from the big-picture point of view and recommends products that meet them to the fullest extent. Finding out these needs and framing them to suit a product’s utility calls for a fluid visualisation ability and tact. A sales agent needs to discuss the expectations of the customer as part of ‘needs analysis’. In the interaction with a prospect, the best impression a salesperson can give off is one of honesty and knowledgeability. At every stage, a seller has to be an active listener and a quick thinker. They have to ask all the right questions

Reacting to wellness stimulus

Meditating has been a roadblock in my path to well-being. Or at least that’s what I think but I met some useful advice today: meditation is not about keeping the mind from wandering, but letting it finish its wanderings and come back to the present, awareness of the physical state – breath most importantly, so much so, that it burns itself out of aimless buzz, for a time at least. This is why they say meditate for at least 20 minutes, at least once a day. Doing this lets the mind run out of steam for the time as far as distractions are concerned. Once the clump of noisy thoughts is dealt with, what remains is, surprise surprise, a clear mind to deploy at the tasks of the day. And goodness knows we have distractions. These distractions are closely linked to our insecurities. Is it Facebook notifications that I can’t keep from checking out – why am I so concerned with what people might be saying of me? Long term goal: learn to offer a wide berth to others’ opinions of me. Is