Skip to main content

Trickle, meander, cascade in hope of finding ever-lasting cadence




Free-style writing as opposed to organized writing. The latter is all about deciding on what to write about, setting your teeth, and sticking to structure with a pretension of or, even better, compliance to logic. Free-style writing can be aimless and as full of gyrations as one likes. Limitations of any sort are not acknowledged, and the writer is free to break into verse, use phrases that muddle up Microsoft Word (which begs you to consider revising), and license is freely gained to gallop away with your thoughts.
But if, IF you wish for others to understand at least what you’re hammering at, a semblance of grammar and syntax may be followed, so that the liberties taken are appreciated as a creative mind’s departures from convention, instead of stark raving lunacy.
Do you have freedom of speech? So you do!
Can you use profanity? Sure do. Do it until you feel like you’ve done yourself subterfuge and feel like getting back to good old writing.
Should you follow a particular style? Not yet. The motive of free-style writing is to help you develop a style in time, but don’t try to draw lines yet, as it defeats the purpose of freewheeling thinking.
What do you expect to see? Will you see patterns within yourself that were hitherto unknown to you, or will you find that you know yourself pretty well? You will find out surprising things about yourself, perhaps.
Writing can be a great way of self-discovery.
I have notes and epistles and verse here and there, sticking out of books or among my yearbooks or in my many folders. Being a content developer myself, I am quick to see if something is well put, and some emotions and ideas akin to my own leap out at me in the most unlikely places.
Like all self-congratulatory people, I am in awe of myself and my capacity of expression. I seethe in helpless rage when I find I’ve not expressed myself keenly or profoundly enough. Fine-tune as I might, the words that I paint with my pen are not as fragrant and vivid as the pictures that spring into life in my mind’s eye.
This is practice for self-expression -- a poor stab at the many, many things I feel, and clamor to acknowledge. They are changeful, iridescent, half-baked ideas, some waiting to be developed, some stewing under wraps waiting for acrostic bloom, and some given more than their due.
I find it hard to forgive this peccancy, and can hardly wait until I can do better. Ought not this eagerness to count for something?

Comments

Unknown said…
Loved reading this... Super!

Popular posts from this blog

buying something - a perspective from an NRI's marketer

Indians are lovers of beauty and utility. To them, a high-involvement purchase decision is not only one that uses logic but channels emotion as well. A good purchase is one that continues to give joy while delivering functionality for the consideration put in. Conditioning of several generations, mainly governed by household economy, has been drilled into the Indian consumer. To claim a share of the taxpayer’s wallet, the value provided by a product is paramount. Indians famously seek to ‘repair and reuse’ as opposed to ‘use and throw’. The Indian diaspora largely remains true to this idea while mulling over a purchase. They seek to gain lasting value. The fillip of value lies in an item reminiscent of the motherland – one that smacks of the flavours, tastes, and the colourful heritage that India signifies. Uniquely Indian items – and they are many – have historical, religious, or nostalgic significance for non-resident Indians. Linking a product’s features and benefits to

Sales people get annoying as does sales talk - here's how to steer clear of verbal pitfalls

My scenario: Seller: software maker (on-rolls sales agent making the pitch) Buyer: a digital marketing company looking to buy software to collect feedback from its employees on HR policy, workplace conditions, etc. Annoying things a salesperson says When needs match with offerings, sales happen with vim and vigor. An astute salesperson analyses prospects well before making them an offer. He/she thinks of the needs of the customer from the big-picture point of view and recommends products that meet them to the fullest extent. Finding out these needs and framing them to suit a product’s utility calls for a fluid visualisation ability and tact. A sales agent needs to discuss the expectations of the customer as part of ‘needs analysis’. In the interaction with a prospect, the best impression a salesperson can give off is one of honesty and knowledgeability. At every stage, a seller has to be an active listener and a quick thinker. They have to ask all the right questions

Reacting to wellness stimulus

Meditating has been a roadblock in my path to well-being. Or at least that’s what I think but I met some useful advice today: meditation is not about keeping the mind from wandering, but letting it finish its wanderings and come back to the present, awareness of the physical state – breath most importantly, so much so, that it burns itself out of aimless buzz, for a time at least. This is why they say meditate for at least 20 minutes, at least once a day. Doing this lets the mind run out of steam for the time as far as distractions are concerned. Once the clump of noisy thoughts is dealt with, what remains is, surprise surprise, a clear mind to deploy at the tasks of the day. And goodness knows we have distractions. These distractions are closely linked to our insecurities. Is it Facebook notifications that I can’t keep from checking out – why am I so concerned with what people might be saying of me? Long term goal: learn to offer a wide berth to others’ opinions of me. Is